Forewarned is forearmed, take it from us. We are more than happy to share our 30+ years of experience in the Timmins Renovations market with you, even if you aren’t using us as your renovations contractor.
Perhaps you are just starting to look for a Renovator to help with your next project, or maybe you’re in the middle of a project gone awry and are fighting to get it back on track.
Take a few minutes and use our Top Ten Checklists to help you get the answers you need. How will your contractor answer?
a) Project Feasibility Checklist
- Is it feasible to build what we want?
- Have you done anything like this before?
- Is there a better way to meet our needs?
- How long would it take?
- Can we live in the house during construction?
- Can we do some of the work ourselves?
- Can you estimate how long each phase will take?
- Can we reuse our existing mechanical systems or will we have to upgrade them?
- Is our current structure sound?
- Can you summarize the whole Project process?
b) Property By-Laws Checklist
- Do we need a Development Permit? How long is this process and what does it cost?
- Do we need a Building Permit? How long is this process and what does it cost?
- Do you take care of all permit & code compliance?
- How much of my lot can I cover?
- Do you arrange for the necessary inspections?
- Will easements, rights-of-way or set-backs affect our plans?
- Do we have to get approval from our neighbours?
- Can our neighbours stop us from doing this work if they do not approve?
- Will we need any surveys or engineering reports?
- Has the City ever rejected a permit application?
c) Rights & Responsibilities Checklist
- Are there standards that we can expect you to build to?
- What does your insurance cover?
- What does our insurance cover?
- Do we have to be home to let workers in?
- Do you protect (cover) our existing floors, cabinets, etc?
- Do all of your sub trades have WCB coverage?
- If there is no written contract could we have liability exposure?
- Can you explain about seasonal deficiencies?
- If there is a disagreement, will there be third-party arbitration?
- Do we have any financial protection if something should happen to you or your Company?
d) Financing & Budgets Checklist
- Do you offer “Fixed-Fee” and “Cost-Plus” bid options?
- Do you have a standard Payment Schedule?
- Can our project be designed to fit a pre-determined budget?
- Can you give us a rough estimate of our project cost?
- Are there circumstances that can affect the schedule/budget?
- Can our project be broken into major phases or options?
- Is there a fee for your detailed Formal Bid?
- What if you don’t pay your sub-contractors or suppliers?
- Should we have a contingency for changes or upgrades?
- Do we need a Mortgage or Line of Credit?
e) Designs & Drawings Checklist
- What is the difference between a Designer and an Architect – which do we need?
- Do you have a Designer that you work with?
- How much should this design cost?
- Should we meet with both you and the Designer initially?
- How long will it take to complete these drawings?
- Will we be able to review them and make changes?
- Can the Designer give us suggestions?
- Should we be assembling a “Clip-file” and “Wish-List”?
- Is the Designer aware of the project cost considerations?
- Will the designs be based on those cost considerations?
Download and print the Designs & Drawings Checklist.
f) Schedule & Process Checklist
- Is there a best time of year to start our project?
- Will we have a written schedule so we can prepare for what is coming?
- Will changes made “in-process” affect schedule and/or budget?
- Are your Projects generally completed on-time and on-budget?
- How long will it take?
- If we see a problem developing should it be pointed out to the Site Supervisor?
- What is the availability of our sub-trades?
- Are there security and safety issues regarding kids & pets?
- Will you be able to keep our jobsite reasonably clean?
- NOW… How do we get started?
g) Seal the Deal Checklist
- Negotiate the price
- Sign a contract
- Order plans
- A deposit will be required
- Key exchange
- Confirm insurance coverage
- Establish a Project Schedule