When we are finally able to start doing some renovations on our kitchen or any room in our house, it can be really exciting and most of the time we want to get started as quickly as possible. Before you start bringing out the hammer and smashing your old cupboards apart, there are a few things that you need to make sure that you have done first. While there are probably more than five things that you should do before hand, these are the things that I find to be the most important. The things that you should really, without a question, have done before you dare to begin with the construction part of home renovation.
- Figure out your budget. Most of the time home renovation will go a little bit over your predicted budget but you should really have a good and written out idea of what you would like to spend and how much your absolute limit is. Take your plan for your home renovations and add up all of the costs, do not forget about all of the little things that you have to pay either because those are the things that are going to add up the quickest and cause more problems with your budget.
- Plan out everything that you want to keep, what you want to get rid of and what you want to change. This can help make sure that your budget is right. If you know exactly what you want to have done and have it planned out, you can hopefully eliminate the chance that part way thought the project you find four or five other things that you want to do and did not include in the budget.
- Choose your appliances, cabinets and flooring. These are going to be some of the most expensive things that you have in your kitchen-remodeling package so these are the things that needs to be decided on first. Once you have this figured out you should have a pretty decent idea on how much money you have left over for all of the little things.
- Start on the little things. This can be a long list depending on how extensive you want to get. Usually though this list includes things like the walls, do you want to paint them or have wallpaper? Or the lighting, do you want one big, dramatic light or do you want to have a few small and decorative lights? Make a list of all of the little ideas that you have and then pick out your favorites within your budget.
- Find a contactor in your area to do the work. This is of course a rather important step. You want to make sure that before you hire the home renovation contractor that you have talked to them extensively about what you want in your kitchen renovation and make sure that they have the experience and knowledge to do these things. Also make sure that you get a good price quote so that you don’t end up going way over budget.